Friday, December 22, 2023

Haircuts

It was never my favorite job.
I had three boys and a husband. Every so often we had a haircutting spree.

I didn't go to school to learn how to cut hair. My only experience was watching Mom cut Dad's hair periodically throughout my childhood.

After Ellis and I got married he wondered if I  would cut his hair. He had gone to a barber who charged Ellis for a very poor haircut. My thought was, "I think I can do a better job than that!"

That's how it began. It was harder to cut hair when the toddlers didn't like to sit still. I think Ellis could tell it wasn't my favorite job. He suggested giving the boys short haircuts - especially in the summer. "I'll just buzz it off."
I think that's how he worded it. 

Ellis had story after story to tell about how he came to have a short short haircut when he was a boy.  It seems he had a mean teacher who would grab the guys by the hair and shake their heads. (Apparently to shake some sense into them.) These days a teacher or bus driver who did such a thing would probably wake up in jail.

A classmate had broken some rule - maybe chewing gum. A favorite punishment was sticking the gum to the chalkboard then sticking the nose of the offender in the gum and making him stand there for awhile. This guy was very creative - he wrote four letter words in the chalkdust while standing there.
Next he was grabbed by the hair and found his cheek being used as an eraser.

Ellis was tall for his age so the desk didn't fit. The desk rested on his knees so the front legs/bar was off the floor. This irritated Mr. Teacher. He told Ellis to put his feet under the front bar and then he stood on that and forced it back to the floor. Ellis was not dumb. He quickly curled his toes back so the tennis shoes were empty under the bar. 

All of this absurd behavior in the school room gave Ellis an idea. He asked his dad to give him a buzz haircut. 

Isn't he cute?
Now I should round up pictures of our cute sons with their buzz haircuts. 

That will be for a later day ....


1 comment:

Krysta Nolt said...

For some reason I don't remember hearing these "crazy teacher" stories... Was Dad trying to make school less scary for us by not telling them?

I almost thought you were going to say Dad preferred the buz haircut over the crooked bangs that Grandpa Harshbarger was prone to cut😏