Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Christmas 2023

It rained and rained.

Our last day of school was Friday - the 22nd.
For the first time ever I didn't give each student a candy bar when they went down the steps of the bus. I decided to wait and give them candy when we go back to school after the first of the year. They got a "Merry Christmas" and "Enjoy your vacation!" from me. 

Saturday we shopped for supplies. We took the groceries straight to the township hall just down the road from our house. We had food to prepare for Christmas Eve Day.

Ellis and I were host and hostess on Sunday. We invited a new family that's been coming to church and all of our family that live close by. Also all of the single guys that go to our church - it suited two of them. 

I can't believe I didn't take pictures ...
I'll comfort myself and think that I was in the moment - enjoying all the fun. Ellis got one so I'll share that.

This is the old school house from many years ago. Now it's the township hall where there is a meeting held once a month. The neighbors come here to vote. We have been privileged to rent this building for those times when we have an overflow of company and also for youth activities. 
I  took this picture of the flowers Ellis gave me on Saturday. Krysta went into the near by woods and found grasses and twigs for filler. And then she arranged it all with that special touch she has.

Krysta and Deanne made pizza for Saturday night supper. So the party began early. Allen was over at our place cutting down young trees and brush and the guys started a brush pile on fire.

Tablecloths and a Christmas table runner ...

Ellis filled his Dutch oven with pork and carrots and a few potatoes. Then I turned the oven too high so the broth boiled over. That made clouds of smoke later on when we stuck two pans of green bean casserole in the same oven and turned it up high to hurry it along. It was warm enough outside to open windows and air the place out. We also had cheesy potato casserole and two kinds of red jello. Evan and Chelsea brought cheesecake for dessert. We had a choice of chocolate, caramel or elderberry syrup to pour on top.
Ice cream and coffee, too.

For supper we had cheese ball and crackers and O' Henry Bars.
We took games along to play. It's a bit tricky playing games with three toddlers running around taking bites out of each other and bashing each other over the head with toys.

It was more relaxing to visit and play with the toddlers and hold the baby. Now this shows that I wasn't completely in the moment because I can't remember if some were playing games or not. 

The view outside with decals on the window. Trying to keep the birds from flying into our big picture window. This was taken December 27th - after the rain stopped. 

A lot of time was spent sweeping up box elder bugs that continued to dive bomb onto any surface available.  This will be the year to remember no snow and lively bugs.






No comments: