Sunday, October 1, 2023

Northland Ladies Retreat

My daughters and friends traveled to Wisconsin for a retreat. My sister, Ladina, came too. There was a whole room full of friends, old and new. Cousins came. As Ladina and I ate our salad luncheon in the dining room that first day I looked around in amazement. 

"This reminds me of the Ladies Retreat in International Falls, Minnesota!" I said between mouthfuls of salad. "We just need Karen Layman to walk in now. And Kay Knepp."

Kay Knepp lives in Colorado so it didn't seem likely that she would show up. Later, when we were eating supper Ladina said, "Here she is!" Karen was walking toward our table.

There was such a feeling of *deja vu* every  moment I was there. I don't remember what year I went to International Falls and have no pictures of that retreat. Just many fond memories ....

             Tea party Saturday evening 

 My friend, Connie Stoll - we share the same birthday. Some day we'll celebrate our birthdays together. I've reached a dilemma. I didn't ask Connie for permission to put her picture on my blog. Shall I post this blog and ask for forgiveness later? 

                  .    Krysta and Seema


            photo credits go to Ruth Witmer
         Deanne Harshbarger and Krysta Nolt

We were invited to Behold His Glory through songs, prayer, and the testimony of the main speaker. There was time for fellowship and several workshops to choose from for our learning experience. 

We were at a beautiful camp next to a lake. Canoes, kayaks, and walking trails through the woods were all available for recreation.

It rained. There was thunder and lightning and streams of water from the sky.  After a very dry summer with little rain this was a welcome sound.

How does a person sum up a Ladies Retreat?
Laughter and tears
Bible stories 
Sharing our every day stories
Praying together
Singing
Delicious food 
Coffee, tea, ice water
Talking with family and friends 

So many stories....
Here is one I love.
I was hobbling slowly to my last work shop. I noticed another gal walking in the same direction.  I asked if she was going to Marj Weaver's work shop and she said she was. I asked her where she's from and she said Colby Wisconsin. My ears perked up and I told her I taught school in that area years ago. Four families got together and decided to have a small Christian Day School for their children. The school was in a trailer house sitting in my uncle's yard.

I described my uncle's house and the farm where they lived. She looked at me and then said, "That's the place where I grew up."

I described the house - upstairs and downstairs - and after each description she nodded and said that's the way it used to be. Some things have changed because they remodeled the house.

We exchanged names and phone numbers.

My daughter once jokingly told her cousin,  "Mom could start a conversation with a fence post and before she's done find out she's related." I laughed and took that as a compliment.  

No, I wasn't talking to a fence post, but in a random conversation found the daughter of the family my uncle sold his farm to. 

How cool is that?!

I don't think it was a coincidence. 

The planning committee asked for ideas for next year. I hope to go again and walk on those hiking trails. No more hobbling - no more pain. 

My surgery for a hip replacement is scheduled for October 9th. So many friends wished the best for me and promised to pray for me. I am grateful!











3 comments:

Connie Stoll said...

So good to see you again! I enjoyed the retreat very much. And you have my permission to post the picture. :)

Dawn said...

Thank you, Connie. I'm glad we got a chance to visit a little longer

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blessed time! I would love to have been there.