Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Lorraine

April 20, 2020
This was a day like all the days before, soft breezes tugging at my skirt, birdsong in the trees overhead. Green leaves showing up on every bush in town. Shoots of pale white/green plants emerging from the ground.  

It was a day like one I'd never seen before. The school grounds empty. Yellow school buses parked in the garage. Children learning at home. Moms and dads, grandparents, teachers.... everyone struggling with feelings of unbelief. This is a dream, right? 

More like a nightmare. We'll all wake up soon, don't be afraid, this too shall pass. Words of encouragement expressed everywhere we go. Keep a stiff upper lip. We'll get through this. 

Covid was the word on every tongue. Fear of the unknown. A world turned upside down. 

The van I drove that day was loaded with boxes of food for students. Here is the schedule I went by. Instead of driving school bus every afternoon Monday and Wednesday each week I met two other van drivers at the bus garage. From there I followed the van in front of me to the high school. Large carts loaded with boxes lumbered out of a side door. Smiling cooks pushed the carts close to the vans. With lists in hand each of us matched the names written with magic markers on the sides of the boxes with the names on paper.

My route was in town, about fifteen stops in all. Just put the box on the step, knock on the door and walk away - these were the instructions we were given. 

That's what I was doing on that beautiful day fourteen months ago. On this day of sunshine and warm breezes neighbors walked together on their streets. Children bounced balls or glided by on rollerblades. Dogs of every size tugged at the end of their leashes as the humans holding the leash strolled in the warm sunshine. 

My phone trilled a soft notice telling me I had a message. Before I drove to the next stop I checked my phone. There was a message from my sister saying Lorraine, my friend from long ago days, had just died.

How does the world keep going after news like that? The birds keep singing, the lawn mowers keep circling around the lawn, those people pushing them or driving them unaware of anything unusual. 

I accidentally touched the screen on my phone and a blue thumbs up symbol clicked my response. I frantically typed, "Sorry, I didn't mean to send that. This news is unbelievable! I am in tears."

Lorraine - with those blue eyes and curly blond hair - wide smile and bubbly laugh, gone from this life?!  The curtain between this life and eternity was pulled aside and she stepped through the door. I was in shock.

I still remember when she told my sisters and me, "Lorraine is my middle name." We were probably rattling off our middle names - short one syllable names - Kaye, Joy, Lee and Layne. "What's your middle name, Lorraine?"
Her answer startled us and intrigued us. We had never heard of such a thing. We actually didn't believe her at first and thought she was pulling our legs. 

It turns out she was named after her lovely Grandmother, Anna. Her parents wanted her to have her Grandma's name, but also have her own name. Anna Lorraine. It makes perfect sense. "But why didn't they name you Lorraine Anna?" we asked. Again it makes perfect sense. Anna Lorraine flows smoothly. The other way around does not.

Ellis and I liked this so much that we followed along, naming our first daughter after her Grandma, but calling her by her own name. Florence Deanne. And for the same reason. Florence Deanne flows smoothly. Deanne Florence is too abrupt somehow.

This is a long, convoluted way to tell you that I am announcing another winner for Shari's book. Lorraine's daughter, Bethany Shirk, is the winner! Congratulations Bethany!

And now the drawing is officially closed.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings and memories of yesterday. 

One comforting thought that has helped me this winter is imagining that Lorraine, my friend from long ago days, is holding our little granddaughter, Pearl India, there behind that curtain. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow congratulations Bethany!!
And Dawn, your memories of Lorraine were beautiful. Lorraine is greatly missed in our community.

Unknown said...

Julie Nolt

Unknown said...

What a surprise! Thanks so much!
And your memories of my Mom... What a treat!!!

Dawn Harshbarger said...

Thank you, Julie and Bethany!