Friday, June 18, 2021

Grief

        A new book written by Shari Zook
Full of stories that will speak to your heart       You can preorder this book on Amazon

 I don't know how many times I thought about writing a blog post this past winter, recording my journey through grief. We said "Good-bye" to our little granddaughter, Pearl India, before we got to say a proper "Hello."

Writing about it is like turning on a faucet. Even as I type these words tears are raining down my face. 

People would ask, "How are you doing?" My replies varied. "Some days are better than others." or "Still hanging in there." Now when I say, "It's going great!" does that mean I have forgotten? Obviously not. 

In the winter every afternoon I drove to the bus garage to drive bus. I stared out the window longing to see blue sky overhead. When blue sky peeked through the clouds I wept and talked to God. I remembered the verse about clouds being like dust curls at His feet. (Nahum 1:3) After all the students were safely home again I called out to God, asking Him all my questions. I still don't have any answers. 

In the meantime I saw that Shari Zook had a new book being published. There was a chance to sign up and be part of a launch team and get to read her new book. Of course this involved answering questions as we went through the chapters. I was in over my head, feeling very vulnerable many times. Out of my comfort zone - definitely!

What a sweet time this turned out to be.  First of all - reading a new book! Reading Shari's story, then as we worked through the book together, listening to other stories.  
 
Shari's story is told through the lense of Motherhood. I am convinced this book is for anyone who loves a good story - well written. Trust me, it is not just for moms.
One of the things I promised to do was write a  blog post to let you know about this book. 

The other thing is this. I will give away one of Shari's books. Leave a comment telling me your name and favorite flower and I will put your name in the drawing.
 (anyone in US and Canada)
Now through Saturday June 26, 2021


Here is the quote that caught my attention in                        my season of sorrow.

25 comments:

FLynelle said...

Faith Zimmerman...how am I to pick 1 single flower? They are almost all my favorite..I will say Sunflowers 🌻

Dawn Harshbarger said...

A field of sunflowers all facing toward the sun ... I need to visit ND this summer!

Unknown said...

I hope I get to read this book sometime soon! Not sure I have a favorite flower but I really love it when our 'Hardy Hibiscus' are blooming.😊

Unknown said...

This comment by Coretta Nolt

JF said...

I love many flowers but right now the peonies from my flower bed are my favorite. Their fragrance is just amazing! This is Joanna 😊

Dawn Harshbarger said...

Coretta, I had to look up this flower because I'm not familiar with it. It's gorgeous!

Dawn Harshbarger said...

Hi Joanna, I love peonies, too. Sadly, ours are finished for this spring. I was happy to see them bloom. We had to move them a couple years ago so they are still recovering from the trauma.

Deb Murry said...

My favorite flower hands down is the hydrangeas

Dawn Harshbarger said...

Hydrangeas are amazing!I love the different colors.

Dawn Harshbarger said...

Anyone else having trouble leaving a comment? I have a message from Rachel who loves yellow roses edged with red. I'm adding her name to the drawing.

Unknown said...

I am enjoying the calla lillies that are bloomimg now! -Bethany Shirk

Dea said...

Lilacs :)
-your favorite oldest daughter

Dawn Harshbarger said...

I'm just finding out about calla lillies this spring. Krysta has some in her garden.

Dawn Harshbarger said...

We planted a row of lilacs a couple years ago. Can't wait for them to bloom!

Krysta Nolt said...

Poppies, the big showy red ones that last only a couple of days. Maybe that's why I like them the best... they are so fragile and short lived, but they put their whole heart into the time they have.
Thank you for remembering Pearl India 💜. Her life is a little like the poppies, but much more beautiful and loved and missed.
~Krysta

Unknown said...

Anything blooming is my favorite!! White hydrangeas are one of my most favorite! -Darlene Martin

Dawn Harshbarger said...

I'm trying to find Anne's quote about poppies in one of L.M.Montgomery's books. 🙂

Dawn Harshbarger said...

They are lovely! This time of the year there are so many flowers to choose from.

Marlese Anderson said...

Not sure on a favorite, but I love gerbera daisies, roses, and lavender irises :) ~ Marlese Anderson

Dawn Harshbarger said...

Yes! I love them too!

VaLita said...

Lilacs are special to me because we had them on the tables on our weddings. They smell amazing as well.

Dawn Harshbarger said...

I missed mine this year. I think they got hit by frost at the wrong time.

Donella F Wadel said...

I love them all. Zinnias are starting, and I love all the cheery pops of color. And before you go looking, I think zinnias were not allowed in the garden at Ingleside belonging to Anne and Susan Baker. Which is too bad. =)
-Donella

Anonymous said...

I enjoy zinnias and dalias. -Lindsay Wadel

Dawn Harshbarger said...

I've always thought Anne and Susan were mistaken refusing to grow zinnias in their garden. 😀 Dalias are delightful,too.