Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Norway

Last summer our children gave us money to go to Europe. For our 40th anniversary. They have been listening to us talk, put their heads together and came up with this idea. Surprised us is putting it mildly. 

The other day I saw a picture of a couple fast asleep in a gondola with the caption, *Don't wait to travel until you retire.* Something like that. Not the exact words ... (on Facebook)

I thought of our anniversary September 6, 2021. We took a boat tour in Chicago, an Architecture tour. Both of us fell asleep as the tour guide explained the different styles of buildings. We didn't fall asleep at the same time. Ellis woke me up and then I attempted to wake him up when he dozed off. I don't think we snored. I hope not anyway. 

The tour guide was doing an amazing job and the info was extremely interesting. I got some interesting pictures of many different buildings.

This is one of them. I'm sorry, I can't remember anything more about this clock, who built this or what style the building is. 

Back to our future travels - the first thing we need to do is update our passports. Mine expires later this fall and Ellis's in January of next year. We should get on that.

We are hoping to go to Norway and Great Britain, more specifically, James Herriot's Yorkshire. 

Ellis already read a travel guide from the library - traveling for dummies. No, I'm just kidding. We need to do some more homework, ask a bunch of questions, read some more books, etc.

We want to visit the house my ancestors lived in. The Skrivseth house overlooks a fjord. "They left ocean front property to move to North Dakota!" This is a quote from one of my cousins who was looking at my parents pictures after they came home from Norway in 2003.

In preparation for this adventure I downloaded an app to my phone to
 learn Norwegian. Duolingo it's called. I'm learning to spell the Norwegian language.
It's a lot of fun so far.

I will keep you updated.

No comments: