Thursday, September 2, 2021

August 2021


                      August 14, 2021
                    Earthquake in Haiti 
Picture borrowed from my niece, Jaimie Weber, when she asked for prayers for her country. 


                         August 15, 2021
                       Roses from Texas 
    Krysta took this picture in January 2020
       
                         August 16, 2021
An old fashioned root cellar, still in use today.
We have hills at our place. I wonder if we can make one. One more thing to add to Ellis's *to do list.*


                        August 17, 2021
Speaking of old-fashioned, travel by train is stepping back in time. When I wrote to my friend and told her Ellis and I went by train to Williston ND she replied, "Twelve hours to get from the Twin Cities to Williston ND! You could have been in Norway by that time! Or Amsterdam at the very least!"


                        August 18, 2021
After snipping green beans and getting a canner started we went to Newport for pie and ice cream with Hans, JoAnna and family. 

Not to be compared with JoAnna's cooking which we enjoyed immensely during our visit, this place showed great hospitality at 10:00 pm after traveling from Spokane WA to the Twin Cities, MN.  We thought they were open, the door was certainly unlocked. Mom and I walked toward the gal at the cash register. She looked sideways at her co-worker and said. "We have two lovely ladies walking toward us. I think the door is still unlocked!" 
I said, "Oh, are you closed?" 
"The drive through is still open, but our dining room is closed. What can I get for you?"
I said we could go through the drive through but she said, "No, no, no, our door was open. We'll fix something for you." 
Our hamburgers and fries tasted wonderful! We ate outside at a picnic table. It was very warm and muggy after getting used to 55° - 60° in the evening in WA.


                     

                 August 19, 2021


My friend who told me we could be in Norway or Amsterdam in 12 hours. Anne Marie grew up in Austria, married a Mennonite man named John Harshbarger and we still have not found if our husbands are related. We are still curious about that even after 30+ years of being pen pals. I got side tracked a bit.

This is my Grandma Martin and the first half of her children (almost). I don't know if I took this picture at Aunt Grace's place or if my Aunt Rhoda took it and sent it to me. Here is Gladys (Byers) Martin with Lester, Ray, Grace, Mary and Martha.

                 August 20, 2021
The story of the moose. We went for a ride with Hans and JoAnna to see a fire. We saw this moose instead who crossed  the road several times trying to get her calf to follow. The calf was tangled in a fence,  but finally burst through, landed in a heap then scrambled to its feet and tottered across the highway. We cheered it on its way and breathed a sigh of relief when it melted into the woods.

                      August 21, 2021


1 comment:

Connie Stoll said...

Enjoyed all the pictures! But I kept going back to the one of your Grandma and her children. I knew all of them except Lester (they moved away while I was very young). I went to see Grace on her 90th birthday. And Mary is my aunt. So fascinating to see them when they were children! Thanks for sharing.