Tuesday, October 8, 2013

apples

Up to my elbows in apples . . .
Apple sauce, apples for pie filling . . .


- - The pie filling is mostly used for apple crisp and fruit filled coffee cakes. 
I heard a new way to use it the other day. 
Warm up the pie filling and serve over waffles or pancakes. 
That sounds delicious. 


Last night we tried again to make apple cider. 
It seems like a lot of trouble to me in many ways.


Maybe we were just a quiet, subdued bunch
because we were missing Jeremy, Evan and Deanne. 
I think they helped us last time when we made cider two years ago.


Last year the blossoms froze in the spring so we had a year of no apples.    

2 comments:

Arla said...

What you say about having a subdued bunch bothers me, because I realize how true it is. We ARE fewer in number around here, too, most of the time and the married children are still missed after almost five years. We've adjusted; but when the tradition times come around we notice, again.

little-shack-in-the-boondocks said...

Yes, we are still getting used to our "new" life. Two children at home, only one in school. It just gets busier though. I haven't figured that out yet.