Thursday, August 10, 2023

Tell me everything you know about jello

That's what my assignment was this morning! Warning: if you are squeamish you might want to scurry away to another post. 

I thought jello was made from bones but I  checked Google just to be sure. It says jello is derived from the skin and bones of animals. 

Wow! Did I  really want to know that? So it's not suitable for a vegetarian diet. Besides - it has lots of sugar and all the stuff that gives us the beautiful colors.  

What about that Knox Blox recipe everyone loves? It has a cup of milk and instant pudding stirred together until dissolved then wisked into your favorite jello flavor. Pour into a flat container and chill. Cut into squares and serve.

I remember grated carrots and crushed pineapple stirred into orange jello. My sister, Ladina, loved to take a spoonful of Miracle Whip salad dressing to eat on the side with this jello. I never tried it. I was not very adventurous when it came to trying new food.

On another note: I loved baked beans. After helping myself to a 3rd or maybe even 4th serving of Mom's baked beans specialty my Dad said, "Dawn, that is way more beans than any civilized person should eat!"

"Yes, but she's not civilized!" One of my sisters was quick to proclaim her observation on this subject.

Where did we get off the topic? 

Back to Jello

My mother-in-law, Florence, made lime jello with canned pears in it. She had a clear glass casserole dish that she served it in. When it came time to divide her dishes between our families we got that casserole dish.

We always made apple crisp in it. Dump two jars of apple pie filling into the bowl. Stir. Spread a crumb mixture over the top. Pop in the oven and bake at 350° about 1/2 hour or until the juice bubbles at the sides. Serve with ice cream and don't burn your tongue. 

Crumbs: 
one cup flour
one cup oatmeal
one cup brown sugar
one stick butter
Cut the butter into the dry ingredients then spread over the apples

One day Ellis made a pan of apple crisp for the neighbor who was going through some sort of crisis. We've never gotten the casserole dish back.  

I'll end with that Knox Blox recipe 
One big box of jello (or two small ones)
Dissolve with 2 1/2 cups boiling water
Set your timer for 1/2 hour
After a half hour mix together one cup milk and a couple heaping tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding. Make sure the powder is dissolved in the milk. I use a wisk. Then mix into the jello and pour in a flat pan. You can lightly grease the pan with Pam spray. The jello comes out easier when you're ready to serve it.

         this is Caddie Woodlawn's house
                       Menomonie WI

Get your pen and paper ready. Set your timer for ten minutes and tell me everything you know about making bread. 

You'll be surprised at what memories float to the surface of your brain.



No comments: