Monday, May 6, 2013

Snow in May!

Last Wednesday evening I took the girls to driver's ed.  I bought some groceries then went to the library.  It was so rainy and miserable that I debated about going in . . . then I thought of a friend I hadn't talked to for awhile and gave her a call.  She was home and we had a delightful catching up.


All the time rain and sleet poured down the windows outside.  Inside the windows got all steamed up.  This is the time to wish vehemently for a proper fan that works in this elderly vehicle I drive.  I opened some windows and turned defrost and heat all the way up then drove very carefully to the driving school.  When the girls were done we headed to the first meeting place north of town about ten minutes.  The car that met us had SNOW on the hood.  Continued on north another ten minutes with increasing awful roads.  After that stop we travelled to our house. 


Let's just say snow is beautiful but when it is wet and coming down at a slant across the windshield in huge flakes then sticking to the road and building up in slushy ruts -- oh and did I mention that it was dark by this time? this is no longer beautiful but dangerous!  I was very glad to see the lights of home. 


In the morning we woke up to find a snowy world.  Ellis had to brave the wild roads with a four wheel drive.  When he got to Blooming Prairie and opened the door of the pick-up he pushed against snow.  They are saying this little town on the prairie got 18 inches of snow.  There was a five foot drift in front of the store.  Ellis and a friend started tunneling toward the door with shovels. 


This is the most snow we have had in May since they started keeping records 100+ years ago.
 --  the exciting things that can happen on May 2nd.

No comments: