Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy New Year

We are in for an awesome year with wonderful conversation and no misunderstandings.
An example: December 31st 2008

We all went to prayer meeting then Jeremy, Evan and Deanne drove to the Bible School to see the New Year in. Delvin and Christy, Dan and MariJo, and all the youth got together to play games and nibble on snacks and otherwise have a glorious time.

Ellis, Jorgan, Krysta and I were rattling around in our huge suburban, shivering and shaking in the arctic air because no one had warmed the beast ahead of departure time. We were going home to snacks and a game of Authors and to welcome the New Year in.

I was huddled inside my coat like a turtle in its shell. Poked my head out and said, "I suppose Jon is flying about now." (Some one told me Jon was coming on Thursday January 1st.)

Ellis gave me a look that said, "You must have fallen and hit your head very hard. Are you okay?" He asked, "What did you say?"

The whole combination of look and voice brought out a truly nasty streak in me but I would be generous. Okay, maybe I mumbled and he really didn't hear me. I'll try again. "Jon is probably flying home now."

Another stare from Ellis -- like -- "you poor darling. What have you done to your head?"
Asked me again, "What did you say?"

The nasty streak rose up inside me. "Well, I suppose Jon decided to paddle across the ocean in a canoe this time."

Ellis, very slowly and distinctly, "Jon was at church tonight."

My turn to stare... "What?! I didn't see him!" Explanations and exclamations all around ...

My world is a pretty small cocoon some days.
At least I wasn't turning around and staring at the people on the back bench. *small comfort*

All my best wishes to you and yours for 2009!

------------------------------

No comments: