Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Waiting

11-12-13 
(It is so much fun to write this date
which now turns out to be yesterday
since I didn't get this posted
when I wanted to.)
 
They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;
       they shall mount up with wings as eagles;
               they shall run, and not be weary;
                  they shall walk, and not faint.
                                  Isaiah 40:31
 
 
How many times has this song been sung?
Countless times!
It ends as a prayer . . . 
  Teach me, Lord,
  Teach me, Lord,
       to wait.
 
 
 One day I was typing my e-mail address which has the word blue in it.  
My fingers missed the letters and typed blur instead.
That reminds me of my days.  They pass in a blur.
 
Not that evening . . .  time seemed to have stopped as we watched
the helicopter fly into the night. We finished up the paper work at the
hospital and gathered up Evan's boots.  Drove back to Nashwauk
and on to the cabin where we tumbled our stuff into suitcases,
hauled them to the car then stopped in at Jerry and Trenda's place to
pick up Krysta.  Jerry was on the phone talking to my aunt and uncle
who live in Duluth.
 
It seemed to take a long time to decide - who would stay? 
who would go with us?   At last Jeremy and Liz, Chelsea and Krysta,
Ellis and I were on the way.  Since we had to drive a couple hours and it
had taken so long to get started I think we all expected to be able to talk
to the doctor right away and see Evan right away and find out what
what was going on right away.
 
It was not like that at all.  Hospitals have a different time zone. 
My aunt and uncle were there to welcome us.  A chaplain came to the
waiting room and sat with us.  She prayed with us.  She rounded up blankets
and pillows for us and showed us how
the couches could be lengthened into beds. 
 
And still we waited and waited and waited.  At last we could see Evan
and talk to him.  They were starting to give him pain meds but he was
still in a lot of pain.  He had been through all sorts of tests. 
They were going to do surgery first thing in the morning.
 
I have to say this hospital was amazing.  Every morning a psalm was read
over the intercom.  Everyone was kind and helped in the most awesome ways.
 
My aunt and uncle were amazing.  They opened their home to us. 
We took turns, some of us staying with Evan and Chelsea and some of us
going to Dave and Leah's place.
 
A person never knows when a time of waiting will come --
just like this evening.  I was waiting for Ellis to get done with the brake job
he was doing on the van.  Now he is waiting for me
to get done with this post.
 
On that day of surgery we found out --
There is only so much coffee a person can drink when you are waiting.
Only so much you can stand to read . . .   only so many places to walk.
Sleep -- you can try to sleep the hours away. 
         Text your family and friends. 
But everyone else is having an ordinary work day. 
They are busy while our day is standing still. 
 
We found out we could draw strength from our Lord
      as we waited on Him.
 
 
  
 

No comments: