Sunday, June 30, 2013

This Little Light of Mine

"You wouldn't make a very good Amish lady."

As usual, Krysta hit the nail right on the head with this observation.
It may have been her gentle way of telling me, "I'm sick and tired of
hearing you moan and groan about that light that doesn't work in the
kitchen."

You see, when the florescent light in the kitchen acts up it is a SAD
day.  And this has been a SAD week with our main light refusing to turn
on every morning.  Either the bulbs need to be changed or else its the
other thing that goes wrong with florescent lights . . .  the ballast.  I
think that's what it's called.

On top of that it rains every other minute so how are we supposed to dry
clothes?  Usually the clothes go in the dryer, but now the belt is burned
out so it's back to the clothes line.  Not a cheery thought when it's
dumping rain in the back yard where my clothes line lives.  When I do
hang the clothes outside in between rains the towels end up like
rectangles of sandpaper.  I haven't figured out a softener to use in my
front load washer yet.

I will admit it.  There have been too many grumbles about the light and
the dryer and the soggy wet week!  And to think that my dream (once upon a time)
was to live back in Laura Ingalls Wilder's time.  That was before I thought about the
indoor plumbing and reading or sewing by lamp light.  All I was thinking of was
skirts that swept the floor and button up shoes. Since then I've heard those button up
shoes were a bit of a pain, too.

On a more cheerful note it often rains at night and then clears up in the day.
"Rain before seven - quit before eleven!"  Yesterday we had a picnic at the park.
 Evan got to join us since Chelsea was having a day out with her mom. 

Chicken salad sandwiches or chicken salad rolled up in tortillas,
lettuce salad with bacon ranch dressing,
cucumbers,
chocolate cake/bars topped with cherry pie filling and whipped topping
lemonade to drink. 

It was a beautiful day!  Krysta and I bought some bedding plants, went home and planted
flowers in the pots in our back yard.  It sounds like the forecast for the coming week is for
a bit less rain. I hope so because our next project is to reroof our house.  

Here's hoping for a week filled with sun shine!
 ____________________________________________________________

1 comment:

On the Hill said...

I share you 'pain' with the florescent lights!!! And the rain and trying to 'dry' clothes! Hang in there...better days ahead!! :-)