Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Cousins

ALL BECAUSE TWO PEOPLE FELL IN LOVE . . .
a quote by -- DONNA ATKINS

If I knew how I would scan a picture of Grandpa and Grandma Skrivseth's wedding picture here and the title:

Ben and Christine Skrivseth
May 22, 1937

They had three boys and six girls. Two of the boys, Arnie and Sid, grew up and married cousins, Leona Martin and Ruth Kauffman. Leona and Ruth are first cousins once removed or something like that.

We used to visit Sid and Ruth. Our two families could easily fit around one looong table. Memories include washing and drying stacks of dishes with Arla and Evie, sitting around in the living room and listening to stories, laughter, piano playing, talking about the latest books we've been reading, playing with the newest addition to the family . . . Arla and Evie had baby brothers and sisters!

Far off in some of my earliest memories -- Dad and I were there for a conference? Leah was with us and I'm not sure who else. I informed everyone that Mom and Ladina couldn't come 'cause Ladina was sick and had to be in the hospital --
and -- THEY HAD TO FEED HER THROUGH THE *BRAINS.*

On the same occasion stories of bats swooping through attics were told. I was imagining bats getting tangled up in long hair and was scared to go to sleep. Foggy memories . . . did a bat really appear?

Fast forward to the year 2010 . . . Now when Arnie's family and Sid's family get together it takes more than a looong table to seat them. It takes a big room with lots of tables. There are thirty-five people and counting in Arnie's family. Sid and Ruth counted up their family for us last night. They have seventy-one and counting -- if we did the math right.

So far that's counting the boys in Ben and Christina's family. We haven't started on the girls.

Cousins are fun. They are people you can connect with and start talking right where you left off the last time.

3 comments:

Arla said...

That's a good description of cousins. I sure could use one of those pick-up-where-we-left-off conversations with you one of these days.

On the Hill said...

I enjoy reading your posts, and the bit of time we had to visit in WI, and being included...even with being a 'grafted in' cousin! Do you have a picture of Grandpa and Grandma S wedding pictures...I sure would like to get a copy of one sometime! Dena

little-shack-in-the-boondocks said...

Dena, I don't have one of my own, but I think each of Ben's children have a copy. Ask Sid and Ruth. It is a very nice picture.
~ Dawn